HOW TO STOP NEGATIVE THINKING
Negative thoughts can be hard to keep from spiraling out of control. Often just one negative thought can set off a pattern of negative thinking that can be difficult to stop. This can be particularly dangerous when someone is recovering from a substance addiction, as it can easily create a situation that leads to relapse.
Therapists recommend asking the following questions when you start thinking negatively:
- Is there evidence to back up your thought?
- Is there an alternative way to look at the situation?
- What is the worst case scenario?
- What is the best case scenario?
- What is the most realistic scenario?
- What are the advantages or disadvantages of believing your negative thoughts?
- What can you do to change the situation?
- What advice would you give to a friend in the same situation?
By probing your negative thoughts more deeply, you may be able to find the errors in your thinking before things spiral out of control. In the case of substance addiction, this can be the difference between continued sobriety and relapse.
Asana Recovery has a supervised detoxification and residential treatment program that is designed to help individuals struggling with any stage of addiction, whether or not they have tried treatment before. Call us at (949) 438-4504 to learn more about our facilities and find out if our comprehensive drug and alcohol addiction program is right for you.