- July 6, 2018
When addicts are unable to get their hands on more traditional drugs, they might turn to the homemade. There are a wide variety of easily accessible products that most people have no idea can be used illicitly. These are just a few examples.
Purple drank is a mixture made by combining prescription strength cold medicine containing an antihistamine and codeine, a soft drink like Sprite or Mountain Dew, and Jolly Ranchers. This combination provides a feeling of euphoria that can last from three to six hours. It is possible to overdose on this drink, because of the presence of codeine.
Crunk is a mixture of a lemon-lime soft drink and cough syrup. Unlike purple drank, the cough syrup is an over-the-counter strength, but crushed prescription painkillers are added to the mix. Teens often obtain the prescription drugs from friends, drug dealers, or stealing them from their parents. Even without the cough syrup, the presence of painkillers makes this drug dangerous.
Meth is made by combining cold medicine like Sudafed with substances such as battery acid, camping fuel, drain cleaner, iodine, freon, acetone, and varnish. There is an almost instant euphoria, followed by an increase in energy and alertness that can last for up to 12 hours. Its side effects include weight loss, elevated blood pressure and heart rate, convulsions, severe anxiety, paranoia, insomnia, and thoughts of suicide or even homicide.
Nutmeg, a common kitchen spice, contains myristicin, a natural compound that has mind-altering effects if ingested in large doses. The high can last one to two days and can be hallucinogenic, similar to LSD. Side effects include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, but in more severe cases people can suffer from heart and nerve problems as well.
Because of the high amount of alcohol, drinking hand sanitizer is a way for teenagers to get drunk. The amount of alcohol in a bottle of hand sanitizer is equivalent to five shots of liquor. It’s easily accessible, as these days most public places have dispensers in their restrooms. Ingestion can cause alcohol poisoning and even death.
Ingesting mouthwash is a common way for teenagers to get drunk before they’re old enough to buy alcohol. It is also used by alcoholics to lessen withdrawal symptoms. Ingesting large amounts can lead to blindness, organ failure, alcohol poisoning, and death.
Many products that use nitrous oxide as a propellant are sniffed or huffed in order to become high. This can include whipped cream cans, hairspray, lighter fluid, and helium. Other items that are inhaled are gasoline, paint thinner, nail polish remover, and markers. Inhalant abuse can cause something called Sudden Sniffing Death Syndrome (SSDS), or irregular heart rhythms and heart failure. Other dangers are damage to the lungs, liver, and kidneys, asphyxiation, suffocation, seizures, and coma.
If you or a loved one need help to quit drugs or alcohol, consider Asana Recovery. We offer medical detox, along with both residential and outpatient programs, and you’ll be supervised by a highly trained staff of medical professionals, counselors, and therapists. Call us any time at (949) 438-4504.