If modern comedies have shown us anything, it is that drug use (while certainly funny on the big screen) is not a laughing matter in real life, especially when some harmful substances may be growing in your backyard. While the forest variety can be cooked and served as tasty snacks, another species of mushroom can take you on dangerous trips, literally and figuratively. The chances that you are familiar with hallucinogenic mushrooms are very strong. One type, in particular, produces a mind-altering chemical called psilocybin. What is this dangerous chemical and what are the effects on the human brain? Let’s take a closer look and find out.
Scientists classify hallucinogens into a group of drugs that alter perceptions of reality and can induce bizarre experiences that make users see, hear, and taste things that do not exist. Research indicates these substances stimulate the release of serotonin and warp neural pathways in the prefrontal cortex, an area of the brain that controls cognitive functions, mood, and awareness. Some of the most infamous hallucinogens are LSD, Peyote, DMT, Ayahuasca, and the topic of our discussion: psilocybin.
Also known as “shrooms” or “magic mushrooms,” psilocybin is a street drug that is derived from dried or fresh variants of hallucinogenic mushrooms, which are typically slender fungi with small caps (dark gills underneath). Typically, users will eat these mushrooms raw, add them to food, or brew portions in cups of hot water (as a type of tea). After consuming the mushrooms, users will induce reactions similar to the effects of marijuana:
- Severe hallucinations
- Bizarre “spiritual” experiences and trips
- Severe anxiety
- Psychotic behavior and paranoia
- Poor muscle and limb coordination
In the worst case scenario, users may potentially induce long-term psychosis or die as a result of overdosing on the mushrooms. Even more disturbing, people can potentially consume poisonous or toxic mushrooms instead of the magic mushrooms, as a result of misidentification.
The fact of the matter is simple. Psilocybin is a dangerous hallucinogen and should never be tested.
Always remember that dangerous substances like magic mushrooms and other hallucinogens do not have control over your life. You do. Are you suffering from a substance abuse disorder or addiction? Do you have a friend or family member suffering from one or more of these debilitating illnesses? If you do, get in touch with Asana Recovery today. Our counselors and healthcare experts are ready to walk you through every step of the detox and withdrawal process and rehabilitation and guide you towards living a happier, healthier, and freer lifestyle. While the road to recovery might not be an easy road to travel, we promise to help you every step of the way. Take the first step to stay fit, healthy, and safe.
The time for you to take back control of your life is now. If you are interested in one of our residential treatment or supervised detoxification/withdrawal programs, we are ready and waiting to speak with you at your disclosure. Call Asana now at (949) 438-4504 to learn how to overcome your drug addiction troubles today.