ADDICTION TO CARISOPRODOL
- November 18, 2019
Carisoprodol can cause dependence as well as addiction. When first created, carisoprodol was not a controlled substance, but after becoming an extremely popular prescribed muscle relaxant, users began to abuse it more frequently. When ingested, the body metabolizes carisoprodol into a drug called meprobamate, a minor tranquilizer. Meprobamate is classified by the DEA as a Schedule IV drug because it is found to be addictive.
Carisoprodol addiction usually occurs when it is taken:
- In excess of prescribed boundaries
- Chronically/repeatedly for an extended period of time
Another way many people abuse carisoprodol is by mixing it with other drugs to enhance the effects and produce a longer-lasting and more intense high. Typically it is combined with:
Those who abuse carisoprodol often take it in an attempt to self medicate health problems such as anxiety, tension, and muscle spasms.
Sometimes you may not even realize that you have an addiction problem; a lot of people purposely ignore the symptoms, and others just refuse to accept them. However, running away from the reality of your condition won’t make it disappear; pretending things are under control will only worsen the issue in the long run.
Some symptoms of a carisoprodol addiction include:
- Appearing to have significantly more or less energy than usual
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Falsely claiming to have lost carisoprodol, and constantly seeking refills
- Doctor shopping (obtaining carisoprodol prescriptions from multiple doctors)
- Stealing carisoprodol
- Taking higher doses than prescribed
- Unexplained mood swings
There are three main signs of a carisoprodol addiction:
- Loss of control over drug use (amount, frequency, inability to quit)
- Craving the drug
- Continuing to use the drug in spite of work, health, or social problems
It is commonly thought that there are two ways to change or stop a behavior. You can either change the environment around you or change the way you view it. Recovering from addiction includes both changes.
Medical practice coupled with research studies on addiction came to the conclusion that there exists three prominent pathways you can take, in order to overcome your carisoprodol addiction.
- Pathway 1: You can do nothing and simply wait for change to come.
- Pathway 2: You can try to change on your own by utilizing self-help techniques, which may sometimes be dangerous to your overall health.
- Pathway 3: You can change (recover) with the help of professional support.
At Asana Recovery we have a deep understanding of the hurdles that are associated with recovering from addiction while helping those struggling most from this disease on a daily basis. Processes of therapy and aftercare can help you to address the underlying reasons that are responsible for your addiction while helping you establish healthier coping tactics to implement in your everyday life.
The monitored detoxification programs and residential treatment in California at Asana Recovery are offered in a relaxing, inspiring, supportive atmosphere. We eagerly await your call, as we are always available to speak with you! Call us at (949) 438-4504 to learn more about our life-changing drug and alcohol addiction treatment in California today.