CONSIDERING WHY ADDICTS HIDE EVIDENCE OF THEIR SICKNESS
- March 3, 2019
If you have ever known a hardcore drug addict before, then you are probably aware of the fact that they are prone to hiding their sickness from their loved ones and friends. Overall, it is difficult for anyone to watch someone they have known for many years suddenly crumble and struggle to hide the deadly tools of their trade. In some cases, addicts may even go so far as to shove drugs into ballpoint pens or into tiles on ceilings. Watching anyone reach a level of desperation that they have to hide a portion of themselves from the world is nothing short of tragic. However, have you ever wondered why these men and women do this in the first place? Why do drug addicts keep their sickness a secret? Let’s take a closer look and attempt to answer this question.
An Ongoing Pattern
If you have known an addict, then you will understand that they are constantly exercising an ongoing pattern of bad behavior. Lying, cheating, and hiding are just a part of their daily routines. Here is a closer look at why they are desperate to hide their sickness:
- To hide the problem from others: The addict does not want anyone to know about this dangerous aspect of their lives, to the point that lying has become habitual.
- To keep the danger a secret: Although young people may reveal that they have experimented with drugs, they will not want to expose their parents to the real danger of their addiction.
- To keep the truth at bay: Ultimately, the pattern spirals into a process of self-denial. Addicts might be dishonest, but they will ultimately lie to themselves the most.
Talk to Them
Remember, even if they are lying and avoiding you at all times, your family member is still the same man, woman, or child that you have always known or loved. Here are some ways you can get them to put a damper on their problem and get help:
- Read about the type of addiction your friend or loved one is suffering from.
- Take part in a 12-step program for the friends and family members of addicts.
- Locate a high-quality detox and rehabilitation center for the victim.
- Calmly and firmly talk to the addict about why they need to get help.
Seeking Treatment for Drug Addiction or Alcoholism
Alcoholism and drug addiction are dangerous sicknesses that should never be taken lightly. All it takes to fall off the wagon and become sick is to take that first sniff, snort, injection, or shot before you are rolling downhill into insanity. Still, you can always push the train back up, but it will be a difficult hike. However, with the right mixture of perseverance and determination, you can easily get back on track and be happy once more.
Are you suffering from a severe case of alcoholism or drug addiction? Do you have a friend or a loved one who is coping with the same illness? In either case, get in touch us at with Asana Recovery today. Our professional team of counselors and healthcare experts will help you endure the painful process of drug withdrawal and detox and guide you along the rocky road of rehabilitation. Soon enough, you will experience a faster and much more efficient recovery.
If you are seeking more information about our residential treatment or supervised detoxification/withdrawal programs or enroll in one of these programs today, we are ready and waiting to speak with you at your leisure and your disclosure. Call Asana now at (949) 438-4504 to learn how you can overcome your mental illness and take an extra step toward becoming a healthier person.