FIVE REASONS WHY REHAB CAN BE INEFFECTIVE
- April 29, 2020
If you don’t take the right steps after rehab, the hard work can go to waste. Here are five reasons why rehab can be ineffective.
Five Reasons Why Rehab Can Be Ineffective
- Returning to a drug inducing environment – People have a safe place when it comes to drug treatment facilities. It is a structured environment where the staff is around to help with any urgent or emergent needs regularly. Food is provided, a strict schedule is kept for sleep, work, and treatment, and the outside world very rarely comes into play. There are specific times for visitors, who often are screened, and there are sometimes searches of property to ensure no drugs or alcohol are making their way into the unit.
- No support beyond rehab – Leaving an inpatient unit can be one of the most significant accomplishments a person has done in their life. It takes hard work, introspection, and overcoming a lot of fear and adversity to do this. It can also collapse quickly if a person does not have support once they leave treatment.
- There isn’t any hope – People are amazingly resilient and can overcome great adversity. There are thousands of years of human history that prove this. For many top drug rehabs, there are thousands of stories of people overcoming their addiction. One thing they have in common is that they had some form of hope that they could do this.
- Lack of commitment to a sober lifestyle – This one may be obvious, but not all patients who enter drug rehab may be sold on the idea that they actually need to quit using drugs or alcohol. They might have entered rehab because they received an ultimatum from their manager to either get sober or get fired. That does not show a commitment to sobriety; it shows a commitment to their job.
- A lack of appropriate treatment – Rehabs fail too often when they do not provide adequate treatment to meet each need. Every person coming into rehab needs specific help. They have their own reasons for starting to drink or use drugs, and those reasons need to be addressed. A one size fits all model of drug treatment is not as helpful as taking a person-centered approach and helping each person with their individual needs and goals.
These are five reasons why rehab can be ineffective. At Asana Recovery, we understand how difficult recovering from these addictions through our daily work to help those struggling most from this disease. While some may believe they can make it alone, rehabilitation programs are essential in the fight to break dependency. The road ahead is not a smooth or easy one, but you can traverse it if done so with the support of the right team. Counseling and aftercare processes can assist you by addressing the psychological facets that led you to addition and help you build a structure from which to better cope with life without succumbing to addiction.
The supervised detoxification and residential treatment programs at Asana Recovery are offered in a supportive, relaxing, and inspiring environment. We’re deeply committed to ensuring your long-term recovery, and guiding you on your path to a healthier and happier future. There is no better time than now, and we’re always available to speak with you. Call us at (949) 438-4504 to learn more about our comprehensive drug and alcohol addiction treatment program today.