The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) states that an estimated 70% of smokers want to make an effort to quit. Consider, however, that a majority of these people will go into relapse within a week of quitting “cold turkey.” In fact, many people will try to stop multiple times before they are remotely successful. This is greatly due to the highly addictive properties of nicotine (a primary component in cigarettes) and agents (including acetaldehyde) that intensify this chemical’s potency. Stopping the use of cigarettes (or any other drug-related item, for that matter) is not easy and never will be. However, the good news is that you can treat addiction and stop abuse. Here are some tips to help you fight the urge to smoke and stay happy and fit.
Some Beginning Notes
First of all, remember one important point. Regardless of your ultimate success, you will probably still suffer from a “tug” towards nicotine and cigarettes. However, there is good news. Cravings only last for 5 to 10 minutes on average, so they can potentially be manageable.
Something else you should keep in mind is the e-cigarette trend. While these devices are tobacco-free, e-cigs contain traces of nicotine and other potent (or lethal) substances. Vape pens and mods may provide a lighter dose of the drug, but they can still provide just the right boost to ensure those cravings come back with a vengeance. Plus, scientists have not uncovered enough evidence to support the claim that these tools do curb cigarette addiction or abuse.
Ways to Combat Cravings
If you are having a difficult time combatting your urges, try to find your inner strength and keep that brain busy so you won’t feel the “tug” towards nicotine. Here are some pointers to help you stay on the path to success:
- Look for guidance and support through family, friends, a spouse, or a counselor. Asking for help does not make you weak.
- Constantly remind yourself of why you want to quit smoking. Is it because of money or health?
- Consider how much money you will save if you stop smoking.
- Take long, deep breaths and take part in physical fitness like meditation, yoga, or martial arts.
- Find a hobby to keep your brain busy. Learning is a wonderful way to stimulate the mind.
- Take part in animal therapy or get a pet. Furry, scaly, or feathered friends provide a wonderful escape from your cramped world.
- Stay away from other smokers in public and, instead, opt to visit a smoke-free area.
- Consider your options and maintain a daily schedule.
Always remember that cigarettes do not have control over your life. You do. Do you find that your attempts to break away from nicotine are futile? Do you have a friend or family member suffering from addiction or abuse? If you do, get in touch with Asana Recovery today. Our counselors and healthcare experts are ready to walk you through every step of the detox and withdrawal process and rehabilitation and guide you towards living a happier, healthier, and freer lifestyle. While the road to recovery might not be an easy road to travel, we promise to help you every step of the way. Take the first step to stay fit, healthy, and safe.
The time for you to take back control of your life is now. If you are interested in one of our residential treatment or supervised detoxification/withdrawal programs, we are ready and waiting to speak with you at your disclosure. Call Asana now at (949) 438-4504 to learn how to overcome your nicotine addiction troubles today.