SOME OF THE MOST TERRIFYING CHEMICALS IN CIGARETTES
- April 19, 2019
Needless to say, if you ever smoked cigarettes before, you will understand why so many smokers are eager to ignore the chemicals in these little sticks. After all, when you are in the grips of addictive behavior, you will go to any lengths to get a drug (in this case, nicotine) into your system. However, the fact of the matter is that so many of these toxins can rip apart the immune system and disrupt the normal function of major organs, including the brain and heart. Let’s take a closer look at some of the most terrifying chemicals in cigarettes.
By definition, a carcinogen is a chemical that can trigger or worsen any form of cancer. Medical professionals have labeled 70 different toxins in cigarettes as carcinogenic substances. Here are some examples:
- Benzene: Inserted into pesticides and gasoline, the variety found in cigarettes triggers roughly 50% of all exposure by humans.
- Formaldehyde: A gaseous poison usually reserved for preserving body parts, this chemical irritates the nose, eyes, and throats of smokers.
- Vinyl Chloride: Often used in the production of plastics, smokers inhale this chemical through filters on cigarettes.
Heavy Metals Galore
Although quantities of these substances can actually benefit human life, heavy metals can produce a toxic buildup if humans breathe in too many:
- Arsenic: An element in types of rat poison, this nasty chemical is present due to the use of arsenic-based pesticide used in the farming of tobacco.
- Cadmium: Often used in batteries, smokers have 50% more of this chemical in their bodies than people who don’t smoke.
Here is a closer look at some dangerous poisons that are also present in cigarettes:
- Nicotine: The most addictive chemical in cigarettes, this drug is used in pesticides.
- Hydrogen cyanide: This deadly gas was used in genocidal warfare in the past.
Seeking Treatment for Cigarette Use
Remember that addiction can be triggered by one shot of alcohol or a single puff of a cigarette, but the true danger of this sickness is that you cannot fully determine how much you have to consume before your mind forms an attachment. Social smoking is just as dangerous as chronic smoking, on many levels, but you do not have to smoke to have a good time. Remember, drugs cannot determine if you have fun and do not have control over your life.
If you are suffering from a severe case of drug abuse or addiction, or have a friend or loved one who is coping with this illness, get in touch with Asana Recovery today. Our professional team of counselors and healthcare experts will help you endure the painful process of alcohol withdrawal and detox and guide you along the rocky road of rehabilitation. Soon enough, you will experience a faster and much more efficient recovery.
If you want to find out more about our residential treatment or supervised detoxification/withdrawal programs or enroll in one of these programs today, we are ready and waiting to speak with you at your leisure and your disclosure. Call Asana now at (949) 438-4504 to learn how you can overcome your mental illness and take an extra step toward becoming a healthier person.