THE BIG HOLDUP ON MARIJUANA LEGALIZATION IN NEW JERSEY
- January 30, 2019
Marijuana seems to be the source of confusion in our country, doesn’t it? What other source could have nearly divided our country in half due to agreements and disagreements about its place in society. Needless to say, the drug has definitely created chaos, but one of the most confusing situations is taking place in New Jersey. Since Governor Phil Murphy marked his first year in office, he has sworn to push ahead in his attempt to legalize the little green plant. Even top lawmakers in his administration have shown support for his plans. So, if that is the case, why is the herb still crawling up the proverbial toilet bowl? Let’s learn a little bit more about the big holdup on pot legalization in the Garden State.
How to Solve the Problem
So, what is taking so long? According to Scott Rudder (former state lawmaker of New Jersey) explained that 90% of people have shown favor for the plant. Meanwhile, the remaining 10% comprise people who have disagreed on taxation and the structure of this commission. Officials have proposed that lawmakers should get rid of the sales tax offer (25% tariff) and completely issue a tax on cannabis based on the plant’s weight. Finding peace over the regulation on pot sales would also help the situation.
Goodwill among Antagonists
According to Alma Saravia (a lawyer who represents doctors associated with the state’s medical marijuana program), most candidates can quickly reach an agreement over issues like this. However, Governor Sweeney and Senate President Steve Sweeney share a bit of a rocky relationship, which could spell problem in the Senate. A well-coordinated goodwill pact would be the only viable solution to an aggressive string of fights over Murphy’s propositions. In the meantime, Rudder points out, the State of New Jersey continues to make 88 arrests on a daily basis, an issue which he believes needs to be cleared up very quickly.
At the same time, New Jersey residents have still shown opposition to the little green plant, which they have considered a “gateway drug” (for very good reasons). For now, all we can do is watch and wait.
Seeking Treatment for Marijuana Use Disorder
Although the herb might be marketed as an alternative medicine and can help people suffering from HIV/AIDS and cancer, you have to remember that healthy people can still fall victim to this herb’s psychoactive properties. Marijuana addiction is rare, but it can happen. Do you want to take that chance? If you are trying to beat marijuana abuse or have a friend or family member who is coping with this terrible problem, get in touch with Asana Recovery today. Our professional team of counselors and healthcare experts will help you endure the painful process detox and withdrawal and guide you through each step of rehabilitation to help you separate yourself from these substances.
If you want to find out more about our residential treatment or supervised detoxification/withdrawal programs or enroll in one of these programs today, we are ready and waiting to speak with you at your leisure and your disclosure. Call Asana now at (949) 438-4504 to learn how you can kick your marijuana use to the curb.