Cough medication seems to be a run-of-the-mill part of surviving a cold, doesn’t it? Whether you’re suffering from the flu or battling that pesky summer bug, cough syrup and cough drops are usually the next steps towards relief from a sore throat and dry windpipe. However, medications like Robitussin and prescription capsules are not necessarily safe ways to cope with a cold, as many people turn to a specific ingredient to achieve a “high.” One chemical, DXM, is notorious for inducing bouts of confusion and anxiety and even instigating fever dreams and hallucinations. Even worse, children and teens can easily access this chemical. Let’s take a closer look at why it is so easy to get high on cough suppressants and how this situation can easily be prevented.
What is DXM?
DXM (Dextromethorphan) is an active ingredient in cold medications including cough syrup, tablets, capsules, and powders and is commonly sold under the brand names Robitussin, Coricidin HPB, or Nyquil. People consume the drug by swallowing it. For the most part, DXM is 100% safe. However, consuming more than the recommended dose can result in severe side effects including hallucinations and psychotic behavior. DXM also goes by the street names CCC, Poor Man’s PCP, Triple C, Skittles, or Robo.
Easy Come, Easy Go
So, why is it so easy to get high on this drug? Mostly, for these reasons:
- Easy to Buy: Chances are, if you do not have DXM in your medicine cabinet, your neighbor or friend does. These products come in a multitude of brands, many of which are sold at retail stores like Walgreens.
- Affordable: DXM is completely legal, and most products are cheap.
- Safety Blanket: People will experiment with DXM because they are under the false presumption that it is harmless.
- Popularity: Amongst teens, in particular, DXM abuse is very popular, according to studies. Young adults and juveniles will partake in skittling and robotripping, terms for consuming dangerously large quantities of DXM.
- What You Can’t See Can’t Hurt You: Cough syrup and pills are very easy to conceal. Also, people will not raise the red flag about something used to treat a cold.
Always remember that drugs do not have control over your life. You do. Are you suffering from a substance abuse disorder or addiction? Do you have a friend or family member suffering from one or more of these debilitating illnesses? If you do, get in touch with Asana Recovery today. Our counselors and healthcare experts are ready to walk you through every step of the detox and withdrawal process and rehabilitation and guide you towards living a happier, healthier, and freer lifestyle. While the road to recovery might not be an easy road to travel, we promise to help you every step of the way. Take the first step to stay fit, healthy, and safe.
The time for you to take back control of your life is now. If you are interested in one of our residential treatment or supervised detoxification/withdrawal programs, we are ready and waiting to speak with you at your disclosure. Call Asana now at (949) 438-4504 to learn how to overcome your drug addiction or substance abuse troubles today.