SORE FACE, SORE BODY: DRUGS THAT CAUSE BOTH
- March 30, 2020
There are many different ways in which heavy drug use can lead to facial sores. Each substance that causes facial sores has a different way of doing so. Here’s how commonly abused drugs can cause facial sores:
- Alcohol: Alcohol abuse can cause liver disease. Liver disease can lead to many skin problems, including sores called ‘arterioles’ which may appear on the face.
- Crack/Cocaine: Cocaine, especially crack, can make users think they have bugs under their skin, leading to intense itching and scratching that can cause ‘crack sores’.
- Heroin: Heroin use can cause a rash, which can affect all areas of the body including the face.
- Meth: Meth can actually cause face sores in multiple different ways, including via acne, ‘meth mites’, and burns.
- Steroids: Steroids are notorious for causing intense acne on the face, shoulders, neck, and back. Acne can lead to sores if picking occurs.
Drug Sores on Arms and Legs
Pretty much any drug that causes skin sores can do so on the legs and arms. In particular, meth, heroin, and crack are most likely to do so. Both crack and meth sores on legs and arms are common.These drugs can cause users to feel like there are bugs under their skin, leading to sores on arms and legs from incessant scratching.Heroin causes sores in a different way. Heroin abuse can lead to many issues in the areas where the drug is injected. Legs and arms are the most common places to inject heroin.
Repeated heroin use can cause veins to swell, collapse, and scar. This can result in visible skin issues including scars, sores, discoloring, and deterioration. Crack is smoked using a small glass pipe. The pipe can get very hot, leading to burns, mostly in the mouth area. Crack can also cause formication, or the feeling of bugs crawling under the skin. Just like with meth, this can lead to incessant scratching which may result in nasty wounds, scabs, scars, and sores.
At Asana Recovery, we understand how difficult recovering from these addictions through our daily work to help those struggling most from this disease. While some may believe they can make it alone, rehabilitation programs are essential in the fight to break dependency. The road ahead is not a smooth or easy one, but you can traverse it if done so with the support of the right team. Counseling and aftercare processes can assist you by addressing the psychological facets that led you to addition and help you build a structure from which to better cope with life without succumbing to addiction.
The supervised detoxification and residential treatment programs at Asana Recovery are offered in a supportive, relaxing, and inspiring environment. We’re deeply committed to ensuring your long-term recovery, and guiding you on your path to a healthier and happier future. There is no better time than now, and we’re always available to speak with you. Call us at (949) 438-4504 to learn more about our comprehensive drug and alcohol addiction treatment program today.